BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau Slams Rugby Australia After Being Ruled Ineligible for Lions Clash Following Allegation On…

Israel Folau Slams Rugby Australia After Being Ruled Ineligible for Lions Clash

Former Wallabies star Israel Folau has expressed his disappointment with Rugby Australia (RA) after being ruled ineligible for the upcoming British & Irish Lions clash later this year. The 35-year-old, who is currently playing for Japan’s Urayasu D-Rocks in Rugby League One, took to social media to voice his frustration after RA CEO Phil Waugh dismissed the possibility of his involvement in the combined Australia-New Zealand XV, which will face the Lions in Adelaide on July 12.

Phil Waugh crushes Israel Folau's wish to face British and Irish Lions :  Planet Rugby

Folau, who last represented the Wallabies in 2018, revealed that he was initially told by Waugh through journalist Jamie Pandaram that there was an openness to the idea of him being involved in the match. This led Folau to express his interest in playing in what he described as “an awesome opportunity” to represent his country again in front of his family in Australia.

However, Waugh later made it clear that Folau would not be considered for selection due to eligibility rules. In a statement, Waugh explained that only players from Australian and New Zealand-based Super Rugby teams would be eligible for the Australia-New Zealand XV. He also ruled out the possibility of Folau playing for the newly formed First Nations and Pasifika side, as that selection would also be limited to Super Rugby players.

Folau, who was controversially sacked by Rugby Australia in 2019 after posting homophobic comments on social media, expressed his surprise and disappointment at Waugh’s stance. “I was definitely interested in that opportunity,” Folau said in an Instagram post. “Being a professional rugby player, these opportunities don’t come around too often, so I told him I was very interested. If I was fit and selected, it was a game I’d love to be a part of.”

He further elaborated on how the situation unfolded. “I was contacted last week by Jamie Pandaram, who was in conversations with Phil Waugh, and Phil had told him that he was open to the idea of me being involved in this game if I was interested,” Folau explained. “Jamie then reached out to a good friend of mine, Sekope Kepu, and told him the same thing.”

Folau added that he would never have publicly expressed his interest in the game if he knew he wasn’t eligible. “I’m very disappointed around those comments, particularly after what I was told by Jamie and the conversations he had with Phil,” Folau said. “It’s disappointing from my point of view, otherwise, I wouldn’t have put myself, I guess, in this position.”

The former Wallabies fullback, who made 73 Test appearances between 2013 and 2018, emphasized that his comments were made in good faith, and that he had hoped to return to the Australian rugby fold. Despite the setback, Folau wished Rugby Australia and Phil Waugh all the best for the remainder of the season.

This latest development adds another chapter to the complex relationship between Folau and Rugby Australia, following his departure from the national team in 2019 after his controversial social media posts. While Folau has since represented Tonga in Test matches, his return to Australian rugby remains blocked by the governing body’s strict eligibility rules.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top